LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT | ANALYSIS
Labour and employment are critical factors in the production of goods and services. Thus, the improvement of the quality of the country’s labour force and the efforts to make it more productive are crucial for the development of the economy.
This chapter deals with the principal statistics of employment through Labour Exchange Offices and overseas employment in Myanmar. It also presents data on the distribution of new registrations, job vacancies and people who were placed into employment by Labour Exchange Offices in Yangon and other States/Regions. While the employment opportunities are greater in Yangon Region, there is also a higher concentration of job seekers in this region. In the whole country, the number of job seekers remains higher than the job opportunities.

EMPLOYMENT THROUGH LABOUR EXCHANGE OFFICES
The effect of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) emergency is more evident in most recent monthly data (April 2020): In Yangon Region, new registrations decreased by 83.0%, vacancies notified decreased by 66.8% and the number of submissions made for the vacancies also decreased by 66.9% compared with the same month of 2019. Furthermore, the number of people who were placed into employment decreased by about 66.8%. In other States and Regions, new registrations decreased by about 44.6%, vacancies notified decreased by 54.9% while the number of submissions made for the vacancies also decreased by 54.5%. The number of people who were placed into employment decreased by about 50.8% compared with the same month of the previous year.
When looking at the whole year, the number registered, vacancies notified, the number of submissions made for the vacancies and the number of people who were placed into employment increased in Yangon and other States and Regions between 2017-2018 and 2018-2019.

OVERSEAS EMPLOYMENT
The main destinations for overseas employment are Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, Japan, United Arab Emirates and Qatar. In 2018-2019, 73.8% of overseas workers were employed in Thailand, and 21.9% in Malaysia. The total overseas employment increased by 44.2% between 2017-2018 and 2018-2019. During the global COVID-19 pandemic, overseas employment licenced agencies have not been able to send any overseas workers abroad in April 2020.

LOCAL EMPLOYMENT
In April 2020, the contributin of the number of people who were placed in public sector to the total placements were 8.1% and 91.9% in the private sector through Labour Exchange Offices. Among them, 54.2% of workers were in Yangon Region and the remaining 45.8% were in the other States and Regions.
Top Click to Print This Page Download Word << Back >>